Mr. Cozi and I grill steaks every weekend. We are eating healthier and as such are choosing VERY low carb recipes. Jenna with The Painted Apron is working with me on a new cookbook project, so for the next several weeks I will be sharing recipes with you that we are trying out for the new cookbook. Combine that with our dietary needs and you’ll find high protein menus that are both healthy and tasty enough to add to our cookbook and easy to prepare to two people.
Balsamic Peppered Ribeye
- 2 (8-ounce) Ribeye steaks, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons cracked mixed peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Combine salt and remaining ingredients in a gallon size bag. Add steaks after tenderizing with a meat mallet.
- Marinate for 30 minutes – 1 hour or overnight.
- Grill over medium high heat to desired doneness.
This recipe is one we use with steaks every time we cook. I usually use butter and Worcestershire, but have eliminated those ingredients due to sodium and dairy. If you would like that extra taste, melt 1 tablespoon butter with olive oil prior to adding the broth. Add 1 tablespoon Worcestershire to broth.
Mushrooms & Onions
- 1 – 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 vidalia onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- sprinkle of garlic salt
- Pour broth and olive oil into skillet
- Add onions to broth
- Sprinkle liberally with garlic salt
- Sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking for 10 minutes
Roasted Green Beans with Bacon
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and washed
- 6 slices bacon
- olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Preheat over to 425 degrees
- Spray 9×11 dish with cooking spray
- Place bacon in dish at 3 equally spaced intervals
- Add green beans
- Pour olive oil over green beans, sparingly
- Sprinkle garlic over beans
- Mix beans with hands to spread oil and garlic
- Cross bacon over beans
- Pepper to taste
- Roast in oven for 18-21 minutes
Served with a salad of field greens with an oil and vinegar dressing, this is a tasty and healthy meal.