Our Southern Bloggers Jubilee meeting for December was located at The Grand Hotel in Point Clear, AL. This is a favorite destination for many locals, as well as vacationers and business conventions. Our group of ladies was very excited to get all dressed up, meet together in a room with a view of the beautiful Mobile Bay and have lunch in the main dining room afterward.
One of the reasons that I was so excited about meeting here was due to the personal memories associated with the Grand Hotel. It holds a very special place in this bloggers’ heart. If you are looking for a venue to hold a special occasion, the Grand Hotel Marriott will exceed your expectations.
- In the early 90’s, Mr. Cozi and I traveled from Birmingham on a business trip. One special night, we met friends for dinner and had a lively conversation with a couple who were dating, but not yet married. When we returned to our room that night, we had a tray of chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne. The note read:
- Years later, we purchased a home here and our real estate agent gave us a gift certificate to the Sunday Brunch. Again, we got all dressed up and brought the whole family to the Grand for brunch with a jazz ensemble and flowing champagne. The food was fabulous, the music smooth, the view perfect and the rest was … well…bubbly!
As a mother, I will never forget the compliment we received as we were leaving the dining room. A couple sitting near us, stopped me as we stood and the lady said, “We just want to compliment you on the behavior of your children. They’ve been so polite, and have great table manners, which you just don’t see much anymore. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.” After gushing my thank you’s, we did just that, beginning with a walk around the grounds before heading home.
- Two years later, we had our family portrait made on the grounds.
Photography by Renaissance Photography Studio
- Our next visit was another business trip with Mr. Cozi. During this stay, I had my first mint julep. After reading through the history of The Grand provided by the hotel, I knew I had to recreate one small part of that history. It was such fun to imagine southern belles of days gone by, sitting under the oaks and sipping mint juleps. I had to try one. We met some friends in Bucky’s Birdcage Lounge for appetizers. We ladies had mint juleps and the gentlemen had old fashioneds. The time spent with friends, the view and the history of this tradition made it a very special occasion.
The simple mint syrup is made up of 1 cup sugar, 1 cup of water and one bunch of mint. The longer this sits to absorb the mint, the better.
One lady suggested,
“Sometimes if I don’t have enough mint on hand, I’ll add some mint tea bags and steep with the syrup.” Being the tea lover that I am, this will be my next version of the mint julep.
- On our 32rd anniversary, Mr. Cozi and I decided to have dessert at The Grand with the sweet, soothing sounds of the piano in the dining room. I chose a flaming ice cream dessert. So pretty and delicious!
- On Tuesday of this week, I added a new memory. For the first time, this was a working meeting for me. Our bloggers met to discuss technical support on our blogs, and to share tips of things that are working great. We discussed the number of categories needed on a blog, Michael Hyatt tutorials, Holly Homer tutorials and of course, social media. In attendance were:
Hope of Crafty Hope
Leslie Anne with Fairhope Supply Co.
Debbie with Flower Child Designs
Judy of Judy Hanks Pimperl and our newest member,
Marjorie with Marjorie Searcy.
Father Christmas gave our group a warm welcome.
Appropriately, our blogger group met in Bucky’s Birdcage Lounge.
Christmas spirit was everywhere. After our meeting, we had a delicious lunch in the dining room.
Honey Pecan Chicken Salad with Sweet Potato Fries
The 12 Layer Salad that arrived with an inverted jumbo martini glass over it. I missed that picture.
Caesar Salad with Parmesan Crisps
After lunch, some of the ladies had to scoot, while a few of us lingered to take pictures and enjoy the Christmas decorations. So, from the entire group of Southern Bloggers Jubilee, we wish you a very Merry Christmas. A good place to start celebrating is the Grand Hotel Marriott of Point Clear, AL.
Debbie, Leslie Anne and Moi.